Saturday, October 6, 2007

The Journey

"Ring, ring, ring, ring" I look at my alarm clock: 04:00, it's time to get up. I put on my clothes. I'm really tired. I slept like two hours during the night. A lot of thoughts were on my mind and it was hard to fall into sleep. After a couple of minutes Jone wakes up as well and we sit down in the living room. Waiting. Waiting for a message. Suddenly it's there. The car picking me up is delayed and will not arrive for another 25 minutes. That's 25 minutes of sleep lost, I think for my self. Then another message arrives and it turns out the car is close and I have to leave. I say my goodbyes to Marte and Jone and I am on my way! On my way to Serbia!

I meet Stine (my team mate) and her friend in the car outside of Rimi. It's pitch black, and there is mist in the air. The road is flashing in front of me. Streetlight floating away into the darkness and appearing from nowhere. Like a dream, it all feels like a dream or maybe a movie, I'm not sure. After a while we arrive at Gardemoen. We have barely walked through the entrance before we see some other Hald people traveling from Gardemoen. Some last minute controlling before leaving Norway.A lot of other students were also travelling at this time, but all the others were taking the plane to Amsterdam. It was nice to meet people again, and say your "final" goodbyes. The Amsterdam plane left at 0630 so we got to say goodbye to everyone before we went to out first plane; destination Vienna.Stine and Torstein, the Serbia team, at Gardemoen just before leaving Norway.

In Vienna we had a transit time of 4 hours and since Stine never had been in Austria before we were hoping to manage a quick trip to downtown Vienna. Luckily enough the Airport Express Train took only 16 minutes and were leaving every 30 minutes. We jumped on the first train, and only minutes later we were standing in the middle of Vienna! I had been in Vienna before - I have even driven through the city in an ambulanse, but thats another story - so I suggested that we should go and check out St.Steffansdom. A really old, tall and famous church. To be honest Vienna was a little disapointing, it was very polluted and dirty. But anyhow, on the way back from the church we grabbed a falaffel burger in Invalidenstrasse. We didn't quite get why they called a street by such a name.

The next plane took us straight to Belgrade where we were going to experience the first lesson in Serbian culture... the hard way... Bojan (my new room mate) was going to pick us up at the airport. Passing to custums I was looking much forward too meet hime again, and expected him to be there and welcome us. But there was no Bojan or anybody else that seemed to be there to pick us up, apart from maybe 10 to 15 taxi drivers who where persistently asking to bring us to the city. After a short while I got an SMS from Bojan explaining that he would be there in 5-10 minutes, traffic was bad. We waited and waited, but there was no Bojan. Approximately 30 minuttes later he showed up! Better late then never. First lesson: This is Serbia man! Don't expect anything to happen at the time you planned or the way you planned.

Bojan came to the airport together with Samuil, the General Secretary of EUS (Laget in Serbia). We were going to have a meeting with them and the Jelena, Stines room mate. You will never guess where the meeting took place! McDonalds! Bojan and Jelena, our room mates.Samuil, the general secretary of EUS.

As it turnes out, McDonalds is a very common place to have EUS meetings. "It's a nice place, no smoking, and not to expensive, why not there!". We got some more information about everything. Our duties, culture of Serbia, who to ask for what and so on. At this time both me and Stine were starting to get tired. And finally some hours later - after walking a little bit around, delivering a handyman to his house, a visit to Bilijana's home (a student in EUS) and some crazy driving - I finaly came to my new home in Pancevo. After a quick shower and some unpacking we got a very much welcomed visit from Danijel. Danijel will not be living with us in the appartment after all, but he will be staying with his parents, not to far from my place. Danijel went to Hald last year and spent his practise period in Bergen so we know each other pretty well from before. After a couple of hours, finally, it was time to go to bed in my new home!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Torstein!! åå som eg saknar deg! Eg har lest bloggen din, eg håpe du har det bra!
Helene og eg kom endelig fram te ngaundere itte 3 dager me reising.. Føle meg ikje så fresh då nei :) Internett e veldig ustabilt her så eg får ikje skreve så mye te deg og andre som ønsket.. Har ikje hatt muliget til å skrive på bloggen ennå ein gang.. so sad ;) Ellers så har eg innreda meg i leiligheten, ingen varmtvann men 3-4 kakelakker.. herligt :D Mye kjekke folk her, så det e fint.. De neste 3 ukene ska det bli fransk kurs på meg, ellers så glede eg meg te å komme igang me arbeidet..
Kos deg videre torstein, så snakkes me snart! -take care, love always - Eline

Anonymous said...

Jeg har kommet i tanker om at det er mye skog i Finland. Det er små høydeforskjeller og mye skog. Naturens evige ønske om å gjøre alt flatt har kommet lenger i Finland enn i andre land. Det er flatt og det er skog og som følge av det er det et perfekt land hvis man liker flathet og skog. Hvis man f.eks har feriert i Danmark gjentatte ganger, og hvem har ikke det, særlig mens barna er små, for Danmark er så barnevennlig og fint, syns vi, og hvis man altså har feriert der gjentatte ganger og tenkt at man liker at det er så flatt, men at man savner noe skog, så er Finland et perfekt alternativ. Alle som har en dragning mot flat skog kan trygt reise til Finland, og de vil ikke bli skuffet. De vil finne alle de viktigste bartreslektene i Finland, gran, f.eks, og edelgran, lerk og furu, og dessuten gjøk og sisik, trost og stær.